Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Wii U's 2nd screen, It's not too much

I have grown tired of reading people complain that the Wii U will fail because they think looking at a 2nd screen will be too much for them.

This is by far the stupidest argument against the Wii U for any adult.  We are constantly engaged in more than a single screen at once, so why is this too much?

To drive a car safely, you must constantly monitor as many as 6 "screens" at once which are offering you a variety of data that needs to be considered.  Rearview mirror, side-view mirrors, dashboard, GPS, and the main windshield.  That's not to mention the side windows we use to check blindspots.  Oh, and for those of us who choose to, texting while driving adds yet another screen, even if it's illegal in my state as well as many others.

Perhaps some people can't handle all that safely, and they choose not to drive.  However, to handle just one more screen, I think most of us can handle it without breaking any undo sweat.

In all fairness, perhaps I see this as not that big of a deal due to my constant multitasking that I currently undertake, watching TV or movies while posting on my blog for one.  My computer screen is often cramped with too many windows open at once as I juggle multiple tasks.  I once had my parents basement set up in what was lovingly deemed ADD central, 3-4 TVs running at once, usually with at least 2 constantly playing Simpsons or Adult Swim as I played video games on a 3rd, while offering advice to a friend playing something else on the 4th.  It really is just nostalgia at this point as we only have 1 TV in our apartment now.  And as much as things change,  they stay the same.  We may only have 1 TV, but my wife and I each have our own laptops we use, and the iPad, and her old laptop that occasionally comes out, then our smartphones.  When I count those up, I may have surpassed ADD central with the various new devices powering our living room.

Needless to say, the Wii U will fit right in.

No comments:

Post a Comment